SCTC 2018 - Last Minute Info
Dear Tango community,
We are grateful for your participation at SCTC. Like previous years, this year has seen further growth in registrations spurred on no doubt by the support of previous attendees, word-of-mouth, and new dancers flying in from other states and countries. Please be kind and supportive of your fellow dancers; many of you are already friends. We are proud to have you in our family and hope to provide you with an exciting experience like no other.
The moment is finally here. The maestros & guest performers, live orchestra & DJ's, decor, tech, volunteer staff, and OVER 150+ COMPETITORS are in place and ready to present to you once again with an unforgettable experience.
As a final reminder, please remember that the door is cash only! :)
- We are expecting a huge turnout of tango dancers from near and far. Also excited to have about 150 competitors, representing over 10 states in the US and 3 different countries. This will be an exciting event with live tango music, performances, dancing, food & drinks.
- Please be courteous and put on your smiles for our SCTC staff, Candela venue staff, and most importantly the other dancers. We are all here to have fun and enjoy each other's presence. Spread the LA tango love!
Workshops - 11:00am-4:15pm every day. (please be on time)
Competition - 7:00pm-9:30pm every night. (come support all your friends)
Milongas - FRI 9:30pm-2:30am w/DJ Robin, SAT 9:30pm-2:30am w/DJ Avik, SUN 9:30pm-2:30am w/DJ Varo.
Sexteto Milonguero live orchestra plays twice (around 10:45pm and around 12am) on FRI and SAT.
Maestro performances - around 11:45pm every night.
Red Carpet Event (w/ free wine-tasting) SUN 6-7pm - meet and mingle with the maestros and Sexteto Milonguero. You can take pictures with them as well!
Milonga themes - FRI "Great Gatsby", SAT "Masquerade Ball", SUN "Tango Noir". See our FB photos for examples. (Masquerade masks will also be provided at the front on Sat.)
- Click here for the full schedule.
CANDELA BAR & LOUNGE (VENUE, PARKING, FOOD & DRINKS)
- 831 South La Brea Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90036
- The most convenient parking is VALET; $10/night starting at 5pm. There is also limited street parking during the day and night, please read the signs carefully.
- You can bring outside food into Candela for lunch (during workshops).
Evening food and drinks will be provided by the Candela venue's full restaurant and bar, along with a special "Tango menu". Food stops serving at 11:30pm and last call for alcoholic beverages at 1:30am.
- We invite you to enjoy the delicious food & drinks provided by Candela. Please, no outside food or drinks will be permitted during the milonga (during workshops is OK). Security will be checking bags at the door. The establishment must protect their liquor license. We appreciate your understanding and support.
DOOR ENTRY (CASH ONLY)
- Only cash is accepted at the door for festival entry and workshops.
- All walk-ins can purchase passes at the door.
- Those with online registrations should have a copy of their confirmation (either printed or on the phone) to show if needed.
- Credit cards are still accepted by the restaurant and bar.
Come support the community and friends. Enjoy their hard work and cheer on your favorites! This year features more competitors and an exciting new JACK & JILL category.
Competition is from 7:00pm-9:30pm each day. (See full Competition schedule.)
Announcements for semi-finalists and finalists will happen around midnight on FRIDAY and 1am on SATURDAY.
Winners are announced 9:30pm on SUNDAY.
This is a beautiful event not only for tango dancers but for family, friends, and other spectators as well.
- Spectators staying only for the competition must pay $15 at the door for entry, and ALSO LEAVE THEIR ID at the registration desk. They can pick up their ID when they leave right after the competition. (We are sorry for this inconvenience but must be strict due to past experiences with spectators caught dancing or watching the performances).
- Any competition spectators leaving after 10:30pm must pay the full milonga fee for the night.
- Spectators staying for the milonga or performances can purchase a milonga pass (which includes both competition & festival) at the door, and will not have to leave their ID.
- Spectators may sit at any table that is not reserved, or one of the reserved tables if they know someone there.
- The door entry accepts CASH ONLY.
MEDIA COVERAGE (PHOTO & VIDEO)
Official event photography and video will be done by our own videographers and photographers. Others wishing to record video or take pictures for their own use are welcome as long as they do not interfere with our event or media team.
- Official videographer will be Eric Finke
- Official photographer is Bassel Hamieh
- For those watching from home, our official Livestream Hosts Conrad McGreal and Kiana Stringfield will cover the competition and festival performances as well as interviews and other memorable moments throughout the event. Follow the SCTC Facebook page for live feed!
TABLE RESERVATIONS & OPEN SEATING
- ALL table reservations are SOLD OUT.
- Any tables not marked reserved is considered open seating to anyone at any time. You are not allowed to hold seats.
- Those with table reservations, please be friendly and allow friends to share your table. If you're leaving early, let others know the table is open.
- The rest of the seating will be on first come first serve basis. If you don't have a reservation and would like to secure a seat, we advise you to arrive early (7-7:30pm) during championship hours.
- Only competitors are allowed to sit at the competitors tables. (No family/friends/coaches/etc).
- See FLOOR PLAN for larger image.
The moment is almost here and we can't wait to see you.
Leave a comment
March 11, 2018
Dear Tango Community,
I would like to express to you my deepest gratitude. As I sit here and reflect upon the event and all the moving pieces that had to come together in order to deliver something truly memorable and magical, I have to share that it takes an army of very giving people to make it happen.
February 28, 2018
Dear competitors (and friends),
Thank you for joining us for another big competition year at SCTC. We are extremely grateful for your participation, and commend each and everyone of you for your courage, hard work and tremendous growth. With out you this event would not be a possibility. Please find the competition videos and results inside...
February 12, 2018
SCTC's online registration discount closes tonight (at midnight or shortly after). After months of exhausting preparation and promotion, we have finally arrived just a week away and jumping with excitement. The maestros & guest performers, live band & DJ's, decor & tech, and OVER 150+ COMPETITORS are in place and ready to present to you once again with an event unlike any other.